>From your 4.4.0 documentation I see:

For security purposes you might choose to configure the BackupPC user with
the shell set to /bin/false. Since you might need to run some BackupPC
programs as the BackupPC user for testing purposes, you can use the -s
option to su to explicitly run a shell, eg:

    su -s /bin/bash __BACKUPPCUSER__

If the -s option is not available on your operating system, you can specify
the -m option to use your login shell as invoked shell:

    su -m __BACKUPPCUSER__

I tried it with the $ perfix but it still didn't work.

In setting BackupPC up to run as a service (backuppc.service file), I had
to change all the references from__WHATEVER__ to the actual file names
including paths if necessary. The substitution of the variables did not
work.

Tom.