Yes, you are correct.  The '--hard-links' argument tells rsync to transfer
hardlinks from the client.

On the server side, hardlinks are not used to store the hardlink
information that rsync sends from the client.  On restore, the opposite
happens - the server side reconstructs the hardlink information based on
the stored metadata, and rsync then reconstructs the correct hardlinks on
the client (provided its '--hard-links' argument is specified.

Craig