G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote at about 16:10:03 +0000 on Wednesday,
February 10, 2021:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > On Wed, 10 Feb 2021, Felix Wolters wrote:
 >
 > > I'd like to use it with restricted access to the client ...
 >
 > If I understand you correctly there's no need for complications, you
 > can do that with plain vanilla rsyncd.  It's what I do on my machines.
 > Forbidding ssh access further reduces the attackable surface.

Rsyncd is of course less secure in many ways than rsync over ssh.
Specifically, it uses a clear text password stored in
/etc/rsyncd.secrets.
Second, the transfers are not encrypted in flight unless you kludge an
additional transport layer beneath backuppc.
Finally, rsyncd requires special setup and configuration on each
client in order to determine what to backup up in addition to doing so
in /etc/backuppc/pc/host.pl

That being said, I used to use rsyncd when I was playing with backuppc on
an old underpowered plugcomputer to backup old Windows computers where
the overhead of ssh encryption made rsyncd significantly faster than
rsync.

Jeff