Hi,

I have BackupPC 4.x running on a Debian system. Works like a champ since years now.

One of my clients is an Apple Mac with current up-to-date MacOS. rsync is installed:

username@macos Documents % rsync --version

rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29

Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.

So far it works fine. It does the backupsand all is good. I am backing up the Users-Folder as "$RsyncShareName": "/Users/username" and excluded some unneeded directories.

See macos.pl:

$Conf{BackupPCNightlyPeriod} = 1;

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = [

  '/Users/username'

];

$Conf{RsyncSshArgs} = [

  '-e',

  '$sshPath -l username'

];

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {

  '/Users/username/.Trash' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Accounts' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Application Support' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Assistant' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Autosave Information' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Biome' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Caches' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Containers' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Cookies' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/CoreFollowUps' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/Group Containers' => [

    ''

  ],

  '/Users/username/Library/HomeKit' => [

    ''

  ]

};

$Conf{RsyncArgs} = [

  '--super',

  '--recursive',

  '--numeric-ids',

  '--perms',

  '--owner',

  '--group',

  '-D',

  '--times',

  '--links',

  '--hard-links',

  '--delete',

  '--delete-excluded',

  '--one-file-system',

  '--partial',

  '--log-format=log: %o %i %B %8U,%8G %9l %f%L',

  '--stats',

  '-z',

  '-v'

];

Now I took a look at BackupPC and was going to the last backup (through "Browse backups"). I see the last succesful backup from today.

But when I compare the files in the backup with the ones existing on my MacOS there is a hughe difference! There are so many additional file in the backup which I already deleted weeks, if not months ago!
This is the list of the current backups until the last full one:
669 <http://backuppc41.knebb.de/backuppc/index.cgi?action=browse&host=cvoelker&num=669> incr yes 1 2023-11-13 23:17 72.8 0.9

668 <http://backuppc41.knebb.de/backuppc/index.cgi?action=browse&host=cvoelker&num=668> incr no 1 2023-11-12 20:06 205.0 2.0

667 <http://backuppc41.knebb.de/backuppc/index.cgi?action=browse&host=cvoelker&num=667> incr no 1 2023-11-10 23:03 90.0 3.9

666 <http://backuppc41.knebb.de/backuppc/index.cgi?action=browse&host=cvoelker&num=666> full yes 0 2023-11-08 23:49 710.0 5.8

Checking my local directory I do not see many of the files (As I have them deleted months ago!).

Why do I have files in my backupc which do not exist on the backed up client?

Thanks for ideas!

/KNEBB