On 11/26/23 17:20, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
BackupPC of course has no idea what you want to restore... and it
really is up to you what you want to restore.
Once you know what you want to restore (based on your own knowledge or
perhaps Google to find out what directories make sense to restore),
then you just select the desired files/directories in the GUI.
Unlikely that any one will have done this for you as its very much an
individual choice.

The best way though is to see if your new PC came with migration
software and/or use default Windows migration software to copy over
the basics. This will ensure that everything gets put in the right
place, that ownership/perms/ACLs are properly updated, and that any
changes needed for migration are made.

THEN if you find anything missing, you can use BackupPC to migrate the
files or just copy them directly from your old PC (which is usually
even easier!)

Tim Evans wrote at about 15:48:58 -0500 on Sunday, November 26, 2023:
  > Just ordered a new Windows PC to replace a very old one, which has been
  > backed up via BackupPC (rsync) to my Linux backup server. (Pretty good
  > black friday deal from Costco.)
  >
  > Anyone have a recipe for restoring user data (docs, e-mail, photos,
  > browser profiles, etc.) via BackuPC?
  >
  > Are there better alternatives?  Do new (Dell) PC's come with migration
  > tools?

Closing the loop on my original request. Thanks for the reply. It turns out BackuPC wasn't needed here at all.

I found a software package called  "ToDo PCTrans" from EaseUS.

 https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer-software/pctrans-pro.html

It moves accounts (including user files, permissions, docs, photos, web browser profiles, bookmarks--and cache--e-mail profiles, mailboxes, and save messages. In addition, it moves applications over (free version will move 5 apps; pro version ($49) will move all apps over).

Seems to have worked well. All the PC's users' files, config, desktop, email and browser setup, etc., came over intact. Only exception was a very very old version of Microsoft Office which it couldn't find. Not a surprise, as this very very old PC had previously been migrated successively from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10. EaseUS tech support offered to root out the old Office and manually restore it for an additional $99. I deferred on that, and will hope to get the PC's primary user to move to LibreOffice.

Note that ToDoPCTrans Pro is a subscription service, so I'll have to cancel once I'm satisfied all's well. Their tech support was excellent.

Also, Dell does have a $49 Migrate application. It moves accounts and user files over, but doesn't do any installed applications.