Please ignore the previous email (below).  I was using the wrong config.pl.  Sorry for the hassle.

On 2023-12-30 11:38, Norman J. Goldstein wrote:
Just reporting "problem" encountered and fixed.

Installed BPC 4.4.0 on a freshly installed fedora 39 x86-64.

After starting BPC with

    systemctl start  backuppc

I checked with

    systemctl -l status backuppc

and got the error message

    BackupPC[22215]: No language setting

I found this string in  Lib.pm which is looking for a "Language" line in config.pl:

     return "No language setting" if ( !defined($bpc->{Conf}{Language}) );

so I added to config.pl what I found in the example config.pl that is shipped with BPC:

     $Conf{Language} = 'en';

and this fixed the problem.  I suppose this newer version of BPC now requires this string to be present in the config.pl .  I should have done a merge of my old config.pl with the example config.pl, rather than a straight copy of my old config.pl .