I'm just getting back to this.
I've set up ssh on my Windows machine and I verified that I can log in from
a linux box using a username and password.

I thought I would be able to set backuppc up to use rsync by looking at
whatever error messages it produced but that is not working.
The "BackupPC: host summary" page shows "backup in progress" for this host
but it gets stuck there forever.
I'm guessing that this is because the $ClientTimeout is still set to the
default of 72000s = 8.33days? Need to reduce that! ...
OK, so I tried reducing it to 120 but I still see the same results. I would
have expected the summary page to show "timed out" instead of in progress.

The event viewer on the Windows box shows a critical event that says "sshd:
fatal: Timeout before authentication for 192.168.2.53 port 57432".
but it doesn't says what user tried to logon or what authentication method
it was expecting,

I have changed the $RsyncSshArgs to "$sshPath -l steve" and I created a ssh
key pair on the Windows box for user steve . Then I copied the id_rsa.pub
key and added it to the known_hosts file on the NAS just like I did for the
Linux box that is working. Still not working.

Is there a way to get more detailed log messages from backuppc or do I need
to resort to Wireshark?

Steve