On 2/19/24 17:05, Tim Evans wrote:
I'm replacing the very old computer that has run as my local BackupPC server, and want to retain the server's data pool (i.e., all the existing backups).

The old server wrote its data (including its log files) to a network storage appliance via NFS mount. The NFS mount is set up properly--'backupc' user can write to the data pool.  I have set up the new machine (Fedora 39, same as the old one) and copied over all the server and host config files, and mounted the NFS filesystem containing the old backups.

Seems like this should be simple...

The new BackupPC server starts up--I can see it in process listing; httpd web server is working as well.  I get prompted to log in to the server admin page as expected, then get the following httpd "503" error:

"Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Can anyone explain this, and suggest a fix? Is there some fingerprint, lock file, or something similar I need to do something with?  Obviously, the two systems have differing hostnames and IP addresses.  Otherwise, the config files are all the same.

Following up with progress on resolving this. When BackuPC was installed on the new server, the Fedora 'dnf' install process assigned UID/GID's to the 'backupc' user/group that are numerically different from those on the old server, so all the BackuPC files (including the backup pool) had incorrect ownership. Once this was corrected, the backups began to run properly, according to the log files.

However, I still get the above error when trying to access the server's web admin pages. Further investigation shows the following error in the httpd (Apache) web server error_log:

[Tue Feb 20 06:36:00.553934 2024] [cgid:error] [pid 2519:tid 2670]
    (13)Permission denied: [client ::1:43404] AH01257: stderr from
/usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries

Googling "unable to connect to cgi daemon" turns up a lot of references to the httpd 'mpm' module. Hoping that folks who are familiar with Apache module innards might have some advice here.

Thanks.