Joshua Kugler said:
> I'm not sure if this is Bacula related or not, but I'm going to try...
>
> I just restored some files from a backup to a new Windows XP box, and now
> when
> I go to access those files, I am getting access denied errors.  Looking at
> the security information on those files, it would appear they are owned by
> users that no longer exist.  And when I try to add Administrator as a
> user, I
> am still getting Access Denied errors (as in, I can't change the security
> settings on these files).  So, it would appear even an administrator
> account
> isn't all powerful.  Any recommendations on how to "bypass" windows
> security
> and get these files deleted?

I believe there is a trick that will work--you should be able to change
ownership of the files to Administrator, once you've done that you can
change attributes as you desire.  Properties/Security Tab/Advanced
Button/Owner Tab should get you where you need to go.  Be sure to click on
the "Replace owner on subcontainers..." box if what you are changing is a
directory.

> Obviously Bacula could read these files (on the old system) and write them
> (on
> the new system), so I do I get the permission I need to delete them?

If the machine is not part of a domain, then you created a new and
different user that just happens to have the same username.  Windows uses
something called, I believe, a GUID (globally unique identifier) for
users--one property of a user is the username, however, access rights are
controlled on a GUID basis.  The 'standard' users (among them
Administrator), I believe always wind up with the same GUID.  When logged
in as Administrator, try to change ownership to administrator, then you
should be able to grant full control to another user (and have him claim
ownership of the files, if necessary).

I'm not a Windows guru (and don't want to be), so I can't be held
accountable for bad advice, but something close to this worked for me.

Hope this helps,

-se

--
-se