Hi,

Kern Sibbald wrote:

On Friday 13 May 2005 14:27, Simon Weller wrote:

All,

When we initially started testing restores on Bacula a few months back,
we ran into a problem that has been mentioned on this mailing list a few
times - issues restoring certain files to windows machines that
participate in Active Directory.

After spending a fair bit of time on this, and experimenting a lot, we
found that setting the bacula-fd client on the windows server to a
Domain Admin user seemed to solve all our restore issues.

Thanks for the tip. :-)

I've added a note to this effect in two places in the manual (the restore chapter and the Win32 chapter). However, if you have more information on this, I would appreciate to hear it. One question, what exactly is a Domain Admin user, and are you 100% sure the problem only happens with machines that participate in Active Directory, and if so, do you have any idea why?

I'll try to explain...

First, you must understand that user ids unter windows are not identified by name, but by the SID (?) which also contains data from the machine GUID. So, you can assume every windows user id worldwide to be unique, even if they've got the same name.

In a windows domain, that's just what you need - uniqueness independent of user names.

But, on a windows system part of a domain, there are or can be restrictions for local administrator users, thus effectively allowing only the central administration certain tasks.

That's what a domain admin is: An adminisrative account which can is authenticated against the domain controller. So, no AD - no windows domain - no domain administrator accounts.

Now, to do its work, the fd has to have all access rights possible, and these are, in a domain, only available to the domain administrators. (Which is, by the way, always lots of fun when you take a computer out of a domain...)

To finish my explanation: It's been a while ago that I worked with windows domains, and I'm not a windows admin etc.pp., so it's well possible that all this is incorrect :-)

Arno

-- IT-Service Lehmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] Arno Lehmann http://www.its-lehmann.de

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes Want to be the first software developer in space? Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click _______________________________________________ Bacula-users mailing list Bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users