Robert Buurke wrote:
>> You can have multiple pools of tapes that use the same tape device;
>> there's not a problem with that.  It just means you have to switch the
>> tape or have an autoloader do so.
>

> I understand. I do this for the Weekly (Weekly pool) & Monthly (Monthly
> pool) tape(s). These pools share the same tape device. But the switching
> of the tape (not an autoloader) is not an option.
>

>> Personally, I do my nightly Catalog backups on the same tape as my
>> nightly incrementals and weekly differentials.
>

> I'm interessed how you defined that situation in your bacula-dir.conf.
> Is it possible if I can have a look at how you accomplished that?

Sure:

# Tape pool definitions
Pool {
  Name = Full
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 365d
  Accept Any Volume = yes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Recycle Current Volume = yes
  Label Format = "VXA-V17-Full-"
  Maximum Volumes = 3
}

Pool {
  Name = Inc
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 90d
  Accept Any Volume = yes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Recycle Current Volume = yes
  Label Format = "VXA-V17-Inc-"
  Maximum Volumes = 2
}

JobDefs {
  Name = Backup
  Type = Backup
  Storage = VXA1
  Messages = Standard
  Level = Full
  Pool = Full
  Full Backup Pool = Full
  Differential Backup Pool = Inc
  Incremental Backup Pool = Inc
  RunBeforeJob = "/opt/bacula/bin/checkhost %c"
  Rerun Failed Levels = yes
  Schedule = Oh-Dark-Thirty
  Priority = 10
}

Job {
  Name = "Catalog Save"
  JobDefs = Backup
  Client = babylon5
  FileSet=Catalog
  Schedule = Catalog
  RunBeforeJob = /opt/bacula/bin/dump_catalog
  RunAfterJob  = /opt/bacula/bin/delete_catalog_dump
  Write Bootstrap = /opt/bacula/var/working/BackupCatalog.bsr
  Priority = 15
}

When I do a Full backup of everything, the "Full" catalog backup (which
actually contains exactly the same data as a differential or
incremental, it's just a dump of the Bacula database) goes on the tapes
with the Full job.  When I do an Incremental or Differential, the pool
is automatically overridden to use the Inc pool, so again, the catalog
backup, running after all the other jobs complete, goes onto the same
tape; only this time it's an incremental/differential tape.

--
 Phil Stracchino       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518