Michael Dauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can I use Bacula to backup a Windows XP Pro client and then make a bare metall
> recovery?

There is indeed a bare-metal recovery process for Windows XP.  It
requires the use of a third-party XP bootable rescue CD; I don't offhand
remember its name, but other listers can point you at it.

> It would also be enough if could restore the complete state after installing
> Windows and the Bacula file daemon. But what important is that open files and
> the registry (system state) were backup correctly from a running system.

This is now possible with the VSS-enabled Win32 native client.

> Is Bacula version 1.36.2-2sarge1 ok for this?

No.  1.36.x does not have VSS support.  VSS requires the current 1.37
beta (soon to be released as 1.38) and requires either Win2K Server, or
XP (any version, I think) for the VSS support from the Windows side.  (I
am told that Microsoft decided Win2K Pro did not need VSS, thertefore
it's not available under VSS.  Logic says there's probably a way to hack
the registry to circumvent this, but I don't know of such a hack.)

> Is there something special I have to care of?

Download the latest beta (1.37.38) from Sourceforge, and read the
documentation.  It should tell you what you need to know.

--
 Phil Stracchino       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518