Hi There

Yesterday I got a HP T20 10/20GB, travan 5, SCSI tapedrive. Using bacula at
work for doing a lot of bacups I installed bacula at home and immediatly
took my new toy out for a ride with bacula at the steering wheel. ...

... I was greatly dissapointed: ~100kb/s. And a lot of shoeshining

I then made a spoolarea of 100MB and tried to take a backup of the same 3GB
data.

... I was greatly dissapointed: ~100kb/s. And a lot of shoeshining

Hmm, I then read a lot about the HP surestore T20. Seems unclear why HP have
put their brand on this crap. Only 512 byte blocksize, no buffering, no
nothing apparently.

Then tried to do a tar cf /home/maibritt /dev/nst0 (~400MB). G

... I was pleasntly supprised: ~630kb/s but could here some shoeshining.

I then put the buffer application into the loop

www:/home# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
www:/home# tar cf - maibritt/ | buffer -z 10240 > /dev/nst0
                    424670K,        677K/s
www:/home# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
www:/home# tar cf - maibritt/ | buffer -z 102400 > /dev/nst0
                    424670K,        943K/s
www:/home# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
www:/home# tar cf - maibritt/ | buffer -z 204800 > /dev/nst0
                    424670K,        946K/s

.. and hardly any shoeshining from 102400+ onwards. This is near the
theoretical 1024K/s that HP claims the drive can do.

So back to bacula. What is limiting bacula in getting around 900K/s? How are
my chances of using bacula instead of the barebone solution with this piece
of junk? And if it can be done, what needs to be done in order to achieve
reasonable speeds with this drive?

Regards Thomas S. Iversen