Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> apologize my trivial questions, but I'm new to bacula. I've got a centalized
> machine that runs the director and the storage daemon and that should backup
> several machine with their own file daemon.
> I'd like to backup each host on a volume that is a file on the backupper
> machine disk, on a separate directory for each host, something like:
> /backup/host1/volume1
> /backup/host2/volume1
> /backup/host2/volume2
> /backup/host2/volume3
>
> The problem, or better my doubt is about how to configure to get the above
> behaviour. In my opinion I should have a different Device section in my
> baculs-sd.conf file for each host (and thus path) I'd like to backup, right?
> The problem is that, running the jobs from the console, bacula continues to
> work with the previously selected volume. Thus for example, once I'm in the
> console, if I label the volume1 (for host1) and run the job, even the job for
> the host 2 continues using the same volume. What I'm not getting here?
> Can anyone helping me understand please?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

The easiest way to go is:

- use a nice naming scheme, such as
GROUP-HOST-MODULE, all in small letters for example. You will end up
with names such as
marketing-michael-fd
marketing-michael-storage
marketing-michael-device, /opt/backup/marketing/michael/device
marketing-michael-fileset
anotherdept-anotherguy-anotherclient
and so on...

- you can create individual storages and devices for each client and
even fileset and job if you want. Change the Archive Device to
correspond with the file structure you want. Make each job point to its
own Storage.

- the pool (you will only need one until you know you need another
yourself) can look like this, notice the Label Format which makes for
the file name:
Pool {
   Name = Default
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Use Duration = 1 month
   Volume Retention = 60 days
   Accept Any Volume = yes
   Label Format = "${Job}-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
}

- create the needed directories, give bacula write permissions to them.

- reload or restart!

You can also choose not to do anything about the Pool, then you have to
label everything yourself and remember how you've organized your files.

This will result in dated files which will be reused in a normal
configuration. The location and name of the file would quickly tell you
what is inside.

Happy hacking...

/johan