Hello,

wt., 7 wrz 2021 o 16:50 <neumei...@mail.de> napisał(a):

> > In this case if you need to restore the whole month of data from backup
> then you will need a single Full + a single (third) Diff and a few (up to
> six) Incrementals.
> > On the other hand the "standard" Full + every day incrementals without
> intermediate diffs requires a single Full + about 30 Incrementals.
>
> Ah I see, that makes sense. I think by introducing the
> differential-backups there comes a slight spacesaving-effect with it, since
> someone doesn't need to keep the incrementals around for that long. Right?
> But I understand that this was not the main goal why it was developed in
> the first place.

Congratulations! You've just invented the GFS (Grandfather-Father-Son)
backup policy (rotation scheme). :)

It is a very common practice to have a longer retention time for Full (less
frequently executed) backups, then shorter retention for Differential and
shortest retention for Incrementals.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski