The Baha'i Writings are filled with praise of the previous Revelations sent
down by God.  Similarly, the Writings of all of the Prophets praise the
Revelations that preceded Them.

At the same time, a Revelation is sent for a specific season.  When that season
is finished, the force of the Revelation is spent.

There is an incident in the Gospel of Mark, where Christ sought fruit from a
fig tree:

11:12 And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: 11:13
And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find
any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the
time of figs was not yet.
11:14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter
for ever. And his disciples heard it....11:20 And in the morning, as they
passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.  11:21 And Peter
calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou
cursedst is withered away.
11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God."

It is my understanding that the fig tree represents the Revelation brought by
Moses.  Similarly, in the Qur'an Muhammad swears by the fig and the olive; that
is, by the Revelations brought by Christ and Moses.

The same image is used in the Gospel of Luke:

21:29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
21:30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer
is now nigh at hand. 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to
pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. 21:32 Verily I say unto
you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled."

This is understood by Christians to be a promise that when the fig blooms
symbolizes when the Holy Land blooms, i.e. the foundation of the State of
Israel and the return of the Jews to the Holy Land.  The significance of this
event is also mentioned by Abdu'l-Baha in The Advent of Divine Justice.

Baha'u'llah uses similar language:

"Glorified be He, Who is the Creator of all names and attributes!  Cast into
the fire the tree that hath rot and dried up, and abide under the shadow of the
green and goodly Tree, and partake of the fruit thereof."  Gleanings, p. 189

I remember 35 years ago when I was seeking a path to work for world peace.  I
searched and searched the Bible, read from different translations, attended
different churches.  Eventually I became disillusioned, and entered the darkest
and most spiritually dangerous period of my life.  I had lost my moorings.  At
that time, the Baha'i Faith entered my life, and I was ready to consider it.
As a Catholic, I had not been willing to consider that a new Revelation had
come from God.

I found that what Christianity has to offer the search for peace, is love.  The
highest expression of this I found in the writings of Tolstoy, Gandhi, Martin
Luther King.  They brought the Message of the Gospel into modern society.  But
after searching this thoroughly, after working with the American Friends
Service Committee, a group of devoted pacifists, I came up empty.  I felt that
in today's society, merely speaking of the law of love is inadequate to bring
peace.

And the Message of Baha'u'llah brings so much more than any of the previous
Revelations, on establishing unity among the peoples and nations of the world.
Surely, one can find resonances here and there between Baha'u'llah's Revelation
and previous Revelations.  But where the Jewish and Christian and Muslim
Revelations promised peace would come, they do not tell how to get there.
Baha'u'llah does, in detail, and He provided the guidance of the Universal
House of Justice to apply His Teachings to get humanity there.

Just as Jesus spoke of good people, but people who had not accepted Him, as
"dead" people; likewise, as Baha'u'llah explains in the Iqan, the Imams spoke
of unbelievers as "dead" people; and Baha'u'llah explains that this is a
symbol.  That the difference between what life can be with the new Revelation
and without it, can only be explained or hinted at by the symbol of "life" and
"death."

And this is how I understand the reference in the  Writings of Baha'u'llah to
the previous Revelations as trees that have rotted and are to be cast into the
fire.  Their force is spent, and the Tree of His Revelation is green and
verdant.  In time, this same process will occur with the Revelation of
Baha'u'llah, and a new Revelation be brought.

"From the seed of reality, religion has grown into a tree which has put forth
leaves and branches, blossoms and fruit. After a time this tree has fallen into
a condition of decay. The leaves and blossoms have withered and perished; the
tree has become stricken and fruitless. It is not reasonable that man should
hold to the old tree, claiming that its life forces are undiminished, its fruit
unequalled, its existence eternal. The seed of reality must be sown again in
human hearts in order that a new tree may grow therefrom and new divine fruits
refresh the world. By this means the nations and peoples now divergent in
religion will be brought into unity, imitations will be forsaken and a
universal brotherhood in the reality itself will be established. Warfare and
strife will cease among mankind; all will be reconciled as servants of God. For
all are sheltered beneath the tree of His providence and mercy.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 84)

Brent