Dear Tim,

The use of terms like Allah'u'abha was already prevalent in the western Baha'i community when the Guardian was asked this question. I expect it was asking which form of the Greatest Name we were supposed to recite (i.e. Allah'u'abha or Ya Baha'u'laha.) I doubt very seriously if anyone thought of the English equivalent being the Greatest Name. Keep in mind that the Greatest Name was the secret which Ibrahim Khayrullah reserved until the very end of his classes. There was already a mystique surrounding it.

warmest, Susan
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Tim Nolan
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:00 AM
To: Baha'i Studies
Subject: RE: The Greatest Name

Hi Susan,

I appreciate your reply.

>there is a letter written on behalf of the Guardian which states that Allah'u'Abha
   is to be said in the Long Obligatory Prayer.<

O.K. but why?  Of course there is always a mystical aspect of religion,
which is difficult to put in words, and which may remain beyond our understanding
in this world.  But very often Shoghi Effendi had specific reasons for what he decided.
Do you know of anything in the Writings that explains why Allah'u'abha
has special significance, as contrasted with "God is Most Glorious "?

Thanks,
Tim Nolan

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

http://mail.yahoo.com __________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu