The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Very good and thank you John.  Have notated my file accordingly.

By the time I became a Baha’i, this statement had long disappeared, having been
replaced by the 1947 statement subsequently published as a stand alone piece.
This we know about.  On 9 July 47, he received a letter from the chairman of
United Nations Special Committee on Palestine requesting a statement on the
relationship which the Bahá'í Faith had to Palestine and the Bahá'í attitude
towards any future changes in the status of the country.  His reply was dated
15 July 47, and a portion of the cover letter were published in BW and not made
part of the statement published as a pamphlet.

That letter is as follows as published in Ruhiyyih Khanum’s 1988 book, “The
Guardian of the Baha’i Faith” [which is similar but not identical to “The
Priceless Pearl.]

What is interesting about this letter is how he distances the Faith from any
political involvement or activity, a position echoed during the 1948 war when
he was the only Haifa area non-Jewish religious leader to not leave the
country.

Don C

Mr. Justice Emil Sandstrom, Chairman,
United Nations Special Committee on Palestine.

Sir:

Your kind letter of July 9th reached me and I wish to thank you for affording
me the opportunity of presenting to you and your esteemed colleagues a
statement of the relationship which the Baha' Faith has to Palestine and our
attitude towards any future changes in the status of this sacred and much
disputed land.

I am enclosing with this letter, for your information, a brief sketch of the
history, aims and significance of the Bahá'í Faith, as well as a small pamphlet
setting forth its views towards the present state of the world and the lines on
which we hope and believe it must and will develop.

The position of the Bahá'ís in this country is in a certain measure unique:
whereas Jerusalem is the spiritual center of Christendom it is not the
administrative center of either the Church of Rome or any other Christian
denomination. Likewise although it is regarded by Moslems as the spot where one
of its most sacred shrines is situated, the Holy Sites of the Muhammadan Faith,
and the center of its pilgrimages, are to be found in Arabia, not in Palestine.
The Jews alone offer somewhat of a parallel to the attachment which the Bahá'ís
have for this country inasmuch as Jerusalem holds the remains of their Holy
Temple and was the seat of both the religious and political institutions
associated with their past history. But even their case differs in one respect
from that of the Bahá'ís, for it is in the soil of Palestine that the three
central Figures of our religion are buried, and it is not only the center of
Bahá'í pilgrimages from all over the world but also the permanent seat of our
Administrative Order, of which I have the honor to be the Head.

The Bahá'í Faith is entirely non-political and we neither take sides in the
present tragic dispute going on over the future of the Holy Land and its
peoples nor have we any statement to make or advice to give as to what the
nature of the political future of this country should be. Our aim is the
establishment of universal peace in this world and our desire to see justice
prevail in every domain of human society, including the domain of politics. As
many of the adherents of our Faith are of Jewish and Moslem extraction we have
no prejudice towards either of these groups and are most anxious to reconcile
them for their mutual benefit and for the good of the country.

What does concern us, however, in any decisions made affecting the future of
Palestine, is that the fact be recognized by whoever exercises sovereignty over
Haifa and Acre, that within this area exists the spiritual and administrative
center of a world Faith, and that the independence of that Faith, its right to
manage its international affairs from this source, the right of Bahá'ís from
any and every country of the globe to visit it as pilgrims (enjoying the same
privilege in this respect as Jews, Moslems and Christians do in regard to
visiting Jerusalem), be acknowledged and permanently safeguarded.

The Sepulchre of the Bab on Mt. Carmel, the Tomb of 'Abdu'l-Bahá in that same
spot, the Pilgrim Hostel for oriental Bahá'ís in its vicinity, the large
gardens and terraces which surround these places (all of which are open to
visits by the public of all denominations), the Pilgrim Hostel for western
Baha's at the foot of Mt Carmel, the residence of the Head of the Community
various houses and gardens in Acre and its vicinity associated with
Bahá'u'lláh's incarceration in that city, His Holy Tomb at Bahji, near Acre,
with His Mansion which is now preserved as a historic site and a museum (both
likewise accessible to the public of all denominations), as well as holdings in
the plain of Acre — all these comprise the bulk of Baha' properties in the Holy
Land. It should also be noted that practically all of these properties have
been exempted from both Government and Municipal taxes owing to their religious
nature. Some of these extensive holdings are the property of the Palestine
Branch of the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States and Canada,
incorporated as a religious society according to the laws of the country. In
future various other Baha' National Assemblies will hold, through their
Palestine Branches, part of the International Endowments of the Faith in the
Holy Land.

In view of the above information I would request you and the members of your
Committee to take into consideration the safeguarding of Baha' rights in any
recommendation which you may make to the United Nations concerning the future
of Palestine. May I take this opportunity of assuring you of my deep
appreciation of the spirit in which you and your colleagues have conducted your
investigations into the troubled conditions of this Sacred Land. I trust and
pray that the outcome of your deliberations will produce an equitable and
speedy solution of the very thorny problems which have arisen in Palestine.

Yours faithfully,

Shoghi Rabbani

Haifa, Palestine, July 14, 1947

On Jan 25, 2014, at 6:40 31PM, John Bromberek <jo...@ipa.net> wrote:

> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> At 04:30 PM 1/25/2014, Don C wrote:

It doesn't matter whether the sun shines if you never go outside.