On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <nou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM, deepak gupta <dg288_m...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>
>> Yes it is return in python.[..]
>
> I expect it will be slow then. If you can install an rsync server on
> the remote end, it would be nice. Then you can just rsync the files
> over.

+1. It's worth having rsync.

Here's what you'd do the first time:

rsync -W -t --progress --partial datafile.zip
u...@server:/export/home/user/data/datafile.zip

What that does is:
-W   -> Just transfer, don't check for any existing file on the receiving side
-t    ->  Use timestamps to compare and decide whether the file has
even changed or not.
--progress -> Display progress
--partial     -> Keep partially transferred files.

The next time you want to transfer the same file, or in case you need
to resume the transfer:

rsync -t --progress --partial datafile.zip
u...@server:/export/home/user/data/datafile.zip

Simply remove the -W command line argument.

> If you can't do that, one option is to split your compressed file into
> pieces and transfer them over one by one and assemble them on the
> remote end.

In such a case, remember to generate md5sums of the split parts, and
then verify the checksums on the server side.