Gosh, I am really late to this party. But it is interesting to see many
views (and changes in views) mirroring my own.

To address chandrakant kumar <k.03chan...@gmail.com>'s criticism of Python
3:

> 1. Lack of packages ported to Python 3...
Take a look at Python 3 Wall of SuperPowers
<https://python3wos.appspot.com/>. 83% of packages are green. The rest are
mostly work in progress. There is a good chance that all the packages you
need are already ported to Python 3.

Besides, the incompatibility is the very point. Python 3 is a major version
change not because it is big update with dramatic new features, but due to
its backward incompatibility. This is a good practice, according to
semantic version. API has changed. Language is cleaned up and most of the
ugly warts are gone. The upgrade path is quite painless.

> 2. Performance is same if not less ...
Which wouldn't be surprising considering that it is not a complete rewrite.
But each Python 3 release is significantly faster
<https://docs.python.org/3.5/whatsnew/3.4.html#significant-optimizations>
than the previous one. Iterators are now the default leading to significant
savings in memory usage. Often, Python is chosen for its simplicity than
speed.

> 3, and the inconvenience it caused without the rewards, made me regret my
decision to move to Python 3.
The reward is supposed to be cleaner code. I have struggled with Unicode
handling in Python 2 until I added enough hacks in an web scraping project
till I had lost track of the encoding of any given string. That is now a
non-issue in Python 3.

My latest Django project in Python 3 reads a lot easier thanks to clearer
super() syntax and new-style classes. Almost all my Django dependencies
except Fabric (being replaced by Ansible) are now Python 3 compatible.

There is a much better written article about Python 3 here:
http://sealedabstract.com/rants/python-3-is-fine/

In my opinion, Python 3 has become a really viable option in last few
months. If you considered it in the past and gave it a miss, then you
should definitely check it out again.

Cheers,
Arun