Dear all--

I have just created a new semi-tone device for a Jauck type baroque lute. This
allows me to change the pitch of bass strings by a half step without tuning. I
can go from say e-flat minor to A-major in just a few seconds with complete
stability.

   A similar semi-tone device is seen on the 1732 lute by J.H. Goldt,(formerly
in the V&A) of course I don't know when it was added. Also Hans Neeman and his
associates used semi-tone devices on all their baroque lutes including bass
rider lutes in the 1930s. (This I know from a photograph of Neeman and his
lutes).
   If anyone is interested I can send pics of my new device.

Sterling