PS. At the same time I have to say that extreme cases of use of Minor - Mayor can definitely trigger feelings of sadnes and joy respectively in me, so there has to be something in the Affekt theory...

G.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "G. Crona" <kalei...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:30 AM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Galant definition

Are you speaking of Affekt? Mattheson goes into great detail about the moods associated with each key, but I don't believe that this is really more a part of the baroque aesthetic and not typical of the gallant style. There is the famous story about how Baron was made to look foolish for believing in the then somewhat unfashionable (and un-gallant) idea of music's power to excite the passions directly.

Chris