Hi all,
   Something I've found useful in executing those nasty jumps in the bass
   register:
   1) Having the bass line in your head--and teaching your thumb to
   associate a pitch with a given course, and a musical leap with a
   physical one.
   To that end, I sing the bass line when learning tricky passages. When
   teaching the technique to students, I have them first do it without the
   lute, and then while playing (in the latter case, it's usually sung
   silently). As facility with the technique improves, doing it without
   the instrument becomes less necessary.
   2) An aid in carrying out #1 is to have a copy of the piece in piano
   score. For a number of years, I played baroque lute almost exclusively
   from piano score, and it did wonders for the accuracy of my right-hand
   thumb.
   Cheers.

   Timothy Burris
   www.baroquelute.com