Thank you for this Howard and for your time.

   My starting point in any discussion on performance practice is a
   belief that the performance should respect the composer's intentions
   (to the best of our present knowledge) and thus what auditors expected
   to hear. The range requirements of these solo (English) lute songs is
   not great and well within the capabilities of most sopranos or tenors
   with only a modest ranges. So, as pointed out earlier, the only reason
   to transpose these particular lute songs is to perform them with a
   voice type (eg alto) it is highly unlikely the composer expected to be
   used. In short, it is indeed both unecessary to have to transpose on
   sight and to use the alto voice for these pieces (your 'two issues').

   As I wrote earlier, other modes of performance are perfectly possible
   and if nowadays some people like them, or even prefer them, then so be
   it.  But, like Hill, I do object to it (ie use of male altos in the
   repertoire) being touted as the way the Old Ones expected their music
   to be performed.  And, yes, regarding evidence: I do think we should
   try and seek it to bolster our suppositions rather than relying on
   personal unsubstantiated prejudices. We may not know everything with
   100% certainty but that's no excuse for ignoring what evidence we
   actually do have.

   Incidentally, the second part of David Hill's paper has now appeared
   (Early Music Review No 145). Hill is very well aware of the antipathy
   this 'uncomfortable truth'  may raise in some quarters but feels it is
   so very important to set the record straight. Towards the end he writes
   ".... these two articles have not been an attack on countertenors,
   merely their continuing unquestioned use in repertoire that they are
   very unlikely to have performed....".  I salute his courage as well as
   his scholarship and urge you to read it. You can subscribe to Early
   Music Review for only around -L-20 a year and for that you get both the
   Review and the Diary which lists many international concerts,
   festivals, conferences, workshops and lectures...............

   Martyn