Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Matthew Daillie
Gesendet: Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2015 11:28
An: lutelist Net; Baroque Lute List (E-mail)
Betreff: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Gallot titles

Dear David,

I don't know whether you have the CNRS edition of Gallot's works. It
contains a section on the sub-titles used by Gallot for his pieces.

'La comète' is almost certainly the comet in December 1680 which inspired
the French philosopher Pierre Bayle to write a text criticising religious
fanaticism and the worshiping of idols at the expense of freedom of speech.

Here is what they have to say on 'Le Petit Serail':
(cette pièce) pourrait évoquer les turqueries à la mode, entre autres, dans
le "Bourgeois gentilhomme" = (this piece) could be a reference to the
turquerie movement which was in fashion and notably depicted in Molière's
"Bourgeois gentilhomme".

There is no explanation given for 'La Diamantine' but it can be translated
as a diamond necklace and so may well refer to a particular lady wearing
one.

Following in the footsteps of La Fontaine, there is a series of pièces with
names from the animal kingdom and 'La mouche' (the fly) is one on them.

It would appear that these titles were used to help identify a certain piece
(rather than having to refer to yet another 'allemande' or
'courante') and were often dedicated to Gallot's acquaintances or to
different aspects of everyday life. I don't think they should be considered
as character pieces, unlike many of the later works of a composer such as
Rameau.

I hope this is of some help.

Best

Matthew