Dear Ed

      When a gut strings begins to fail, we seem to see fibres breaking! I
   assume from that that gut is made up of fibres, and if we thin them we
   would be breaking these fibres. I suppose if this is not the case with
   KF, it probably is not fibrous. Am I right? Martin Shepherd will
   probably know.

   I suppose gut string might be reduceable with a soldering iron, or
   similar fusing the fibres together. But has something similar ever been
   tried?
   On the other hand with a rope twine it could be possible to leave the
   two strands separate at one end and only pass one of these through the
   bridge hole. Charles Besnainou believes one painting shows something
   like this. Apparently Louis Pernot makes his own gut twine and passes
   only one of the strands through the bridge hole, the other strand goes
   over the bridge. But this does not exactly answer your question.
   Best Wishes
   Anthony
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

   Le mercredi, février 15, 2017, 9:33 PM, Ed Durbrow
   <edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp> a écrit :

   Has anyone done a survey of paintings and noticed any indications of
   thinning the strings at the bridge or nut?
   >  Thinning the string probably does weaken it, but since the strings
   in
   >  question are way below their breaking strain that would never be a
   >  problem.
   Ed Durbrow
   Saitama, Japan
   [2]http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch