On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 01:45:20PM +0200, Dominik Feser wrote:
> hi list!
> i'm watching the barry project since a few weeks now. very interesting
> things are happening here!

Welcome aboard!

> i tried to compile the whole thing and this worked. but i have some
> problems because bcharge keeps ma bb only charging for some seconds and
> then the bb does not show the little flash anymore.

This first happened on Ubuntu, and then I started hearing about it
on other distros as well.  I'm currently suspecting the kernel, but
I don't have a solution for this.  I know that the change happened
external to Barry, since nothing significant happened to the code
at that level, and I can run the same code on different systems
and get different results.

> if i use btool -lv this works the first time. the second time i run this
> command fails with
>
> ---snip
> BulkWrite to endpoint 3:BulkWrite to endpoint 3:BulkWrite to endpoint 3:
>     00000000: 00 00 10 00 01 ff 00 00 a8 18 da 8d 6c 02 00
> 00  ............l...
>
> Usb::Error caught: Timeout in usb_bulk_read
> ---snip

This usually happens when the previous btool doesn't close the sockets
properly.  I haven't seen this error in a long time, as it was
fixed a while ago, so perhaps there is something else tickling it.

Try running breset, and then btool again.  Or even btool -X to
reset the device.

It would help to see more output from both the first and second runs,
especially the end of the first, and the entire startup of the second.

> i have already tried to compile a new 2.6.20 kernel but same behaviour.

Interesting.  I'm running custom 2.6.21 on Debian with some success.
There is one device in the office that reboots itself as soon as it is
plugged into my machine, but the owner won't let me debug with it. :-)
It works fine on his machine.

> What is this pppob binary? will i be able to use my 3g modem with this?

The plan is to use the Blackberry itself as a modem, with pppob behaving
similar to pppoe, but it is low on the priority list so far.  It requires
some threading and architecture changes to the library, and
currently OpenSync support is top priority.

- Chris