On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:56:46AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> What I have:
>
> I'm a perl and python programmer with a background in data services,
> gui programming and embedded device controls. I own a Blackberry Pearl
> (unfortunately) and would like to make sure that this device works
> from the second you plug it into an ubuntu distribution (so debian
> based support and testing)
>
> What I don't have:
>
> I don't have access to any form of windows machine, so I won't be able
> to do usb snoops; My wife has amac however but I understand this is
> also not supported.

Hello, and welcome to Barry!

First thing to do is try compiling and running the latest CVS.
Make sure bcharge, btool, barrybackup, and the opensync plugin work
on your system.

You don't need a windows machine at this stage of development.  You can
do almost all reverse engineering and testing and development on
Linux now.

As you are a Python programmer, you might want to give the library
a whirl.  Are you familiar with the tools needed to call C++ from
Python?  I'm not fully up to speed on this, but it would be good to
get this tested.  You may need to write or auto-generate some SWIG
wrappers.

Alternately, if you are into the kernel side of things, you could help
track down the reason for the charging issues on Ubuntu.  For some reason,
bcharge sets the power level to 500mA, but then the charge icon goes
out on the device.  I think this is kernel related, but no one has
yet found a fix for it.

As for Mac support, in theory this should just work, but I believe there
are some libusb issues that stop it working.  More testing on that
platform would be great.

Let me know where your interest lies, and ask questions, and I'll
try to help where I can.

- Chris