I dont know if its something I did wrong when building, or if its some
variable that maybe should be passed on to the files under ./udev (i
just took the defaults of /usr/local/), but as an FYI I had to change:

RUN="/usr/sbin/bcharge -p %p

To point to:
"/usr/local/sbin"

Now the charging is working perfectly.  I decided to compile the gui as
well while I was at it, and that also appears to work.

Thanks again for your help and work -- its great to have support for this.

John