On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:03:00AM -0600, David P. Jessup wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> I have attempted to install Barry on Ubuntu 12.04 and this is the error
> I am getting:
>
>    Failed to fetch
>
> http://download.barry.netdirect.ca/barry-0.18.3//dists/ubuntu1204/main/binary-amd64/libtar0_1.2.16-1_amd64.deb
>    Got a single header line over 360 chars
>
> If you can see anything that I am missing that could help with
> installing I would appreciate it.

Hi David,

This is a known problem with the sourceforge.net site.  They have a
particular header which causes certain versions of apt-get to choke
due to the length.

I've opened a ticket on sourceforge to address this, but so far it has
not gotten a lot of attention.

You can work around it by pre-downloading all the files from the ubuntu1204
barry sourceforge page into your /var/cache/apt/archives directory.
Then apt won't have to download them from sourceforge, and you can still
benefit from the automatic dependency resolution.

Looks like sourceforge is experiencing HTTP 500 errors right now, so I
can't point you to the right URLs. :-(

In the long term, apt-get has been fixed to handle longer header lines,
so hopefully in future versions of Ubuntu this will not be a problem

Let me know if you still have trouble downloading (after sourceforge
comes back from their issues) :-)

- Chris