Hi All,

I am a new user and I wish that I had found this software earlier. When
using the Blackberry software, one needs to set-up outlook express which
a tad difficult on a Xubuntu system i.e. need a windows system.

I realise that the sources have not been updated for 2 years and that
the mailing list is little used, but here's hoping. Also my apologies
for the long email but I thought that it is best to give all the
information at the beginning.

Systems are  Xubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 14.04 i.e. LTS versions
Blackberry Touch

I attempted to install using the Xubuntu 14.04 first, installation
using synaptic. The installation seemed OK.

But tried to run Barry Desktop Panel, an error message appears:-
No OpenSync libraries were found. Sync will be unavailable until you
install OpenSync version 0.22 or version 0.4x on your system, along with
the needed plugins.

Searched and found the home page. Read the notes on installation on
Ubuntu, but then found you seem to be only supported up to 12.04 (see
another note later). I found that Ubuntu say that Barry is supported in
Trusty i.e. 14.04??

Tried to install on another PC running 12.04 by updating the
repositories file to include
  deb http://download.barry.netdirect.ca/barry-latest/ubuntu1204

After updated was informed by the update manager that there were new
packages for installation. Great !!

Downloaded but could not download all. There was an error message about
the header being too long.

COMMANDS used:-

escau@escau-desktop:~$ root
[sudo] password for escau:
root@escau-desktop:~#  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B6C2250E
gpg: directory `/root/.gnupg' created
gpg: new configuration file `/root/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: WARNING: options in `/root/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active
during this run
gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key B6C2250E from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
gpg: /root/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key B6C2250E: public key "Chris Frey (NetDirect Barry Key)
<cdf...@foursquare.net>" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
root@escau-desktop:~# gpg --armor --export B6C2250E > barry.key
root@escau-desktop:~# apt-key add barry.key
OK
root@escau-desktop:~#

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install barry-doc
Sorry that I did not save original output

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install barrydesktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
barrydesktop is already the newest version.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
   libbarry0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@escau-desktop:/home/escau#

Again sorry that I did not save original output.

oot@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install barrybackup-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
barrybackup-gui is already the newest version.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
   libbarry0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@escau-desktop:

Again sorry that I did not save original output.

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install barry-util
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
barry-util is already the newest version.

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install libtar0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libtar0 is already the newest version.
libtar0 set to manually installed.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
   libbarry0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
root@escau-desktop:/home/escau#

Again sorry that I did not save original output.

Ran the Barry desktop same error message
No OpenSync libraries were found. Sync will be unavailable until you
install OpenSync version 0.22 or version 0.4x on your system, along with
the needed plugins.

Read your notes more carefully and downloaded manually all of the files
in the soundforge directory.

So followed the information in the workaround noting that you stated all
deb files. Downloaded from ubuntu1204/dists/i386 and transferred to
var/cache/apt. What a pain could download all in one go!!

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install opensync*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-kdepim' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-akonadi-sync' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-xmlformat' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-barry' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-barry-dbg' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-google-calendar' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1exp7-dbg' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-barry' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1exp7-dev' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-utils' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python2.7-opensync0' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python2.7-opensync1' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python2.7-opensync' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-vformat' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync-format-vformat' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1exp7' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync-dev' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-file' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-evolution3' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync0-dbg' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensyncutils' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync-format-xmlformat' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync0-dev' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-evolution' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync0' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-xsltformat' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-file' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync1-plugin-evolution' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python2.4-opensync' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1-dbg' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-utils' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1-dev' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-barry-dbg' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync-plugin-gpe' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'opensync0-plugin-google-calendar' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync0' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync1' for regex 'opensync*'
Note, selecting 'libopensync1exp7-dev' instead of 'libopensync-dev'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync' instead of 'python2.7-opensync'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync0' instead of 'python2.7-opensync0'
Note, selecting 'python-opensync1' instead of 'python2.7-opensync1'
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libopensync1-dev : Conflicts: libopensync0-dev but 0.23.1-1cdf1 is to
be installed
  opensync0-plugin-google-calendar : Depends: python-4suite-xml but it
is not installable

root@escau-desktop:/home/escau# apt-get install python-4suite-xml
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package python-4suite-xml is not available, but is referred to by
another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'python-4suite-xml' has no installation candidate
root@escau-desktop:/home/escau#

Still unsuccessful so what is recommended now.

I can connect to the Blackberry to get its number but I cannot go any
further

TIA

Jim