> It used to work on 2.12.x but I'm having trouble reproducing that now
> because I don't have a database with the correct schema easily to hand
> (we could dig up an old backup...).
>
> After some detective work, I believe it's something to do with
> http://dev.thep.lu.se/base/ticket/1350
> and
> http://dev.thep.lu.se/base/changeset/5026/trunk/src/core/net/sf/basedb/core/data/ReporterData.java
>
> Should we change our code?
> ("Microarray" is one of our object classes)

Yes, I think this is due to changes in ticket 1350. It is known that
this may affect backwards compatibility and it is mentioned in the
documentation:
http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/latest/html/appendix/appendix.incompatible.html#appendix.incompatible.2.13

There is also code snippet that illustrates how to fix the problem.
Basically you'll need something like:

featQuery.join(Hql.leftJoin(null, "reporter", Item.REPORTER.getAlias(),
null, true));

Hope this helps.

/Nicklas