Hi everyone -- my department is running BASE version 2.12.1.  We have
some users outside our department, and their network connection is
rather slow.  At the moment, they're importing files rather
circuitously: uploading them to our server for pre-processing,
downloading the results, then uploading them to BASE via their
browser.  The end result is many round trips for large data files.

I'm wondering if BASE, perhaps through a plugin, supports importing
files from the server it's running on.  I found a message from 2007
about this idea

http://www.mail-archive.com/basedb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00218.html

but as far as I can see, this is not in BASE2.  Have I missed anything?

About the only other alternative I can think of is installing the FTP
server plugin, then have the users connect via FTP from the server
itself (ie, over the loopback interface).  Is there any reason that
would not work?

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find
any other mention of "local import" on the -users or -devel mailing
list.  If I've left out any info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Hugh Brown, Systems Manager
The Centre for High-Throughput Biology