From: Christian Grün <christian.gr...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 1:51 PM
To: Murray, Gregory <gregory.mur...@ptsem.edu>
Cc: basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de <basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de>
Subject: Re: [basex-talk] Slow full-text querying
Dear Greg,

In BaseX, it’s the text nodes that are indexed. Here are some query that take
advantage of the full-text index:

db:get("theocom")[.//text() contains text 'apple']
db:get("theocom")//page[text() contains text 'apple']
db:get("theocom")//text()[. contains text 'apple']

If you check out the output of the GUI’s info panel, you’ll see whether the
full-text index is applied.

There are several ways to compute scores for documents; here are two variants:

let $db := 'theocom'
let $keywords := 'apple'
let $search := function($doc) { $doc//text() contains text { $keywords } }
for $doc in db:get($db)[$search(.)]
order by ft:score($search($doc)) descending
return db:path($doc)

let $keywords := "apple"
for $texts score $score in db:get("theocom")//text()[. contains text {
$keywords }]
group by $uri := db:path($texts)
let $scores := sum($score)
order by $scores descending
return ($scores, $uri, $texts)

By evaluating specific score values for text nodes, you have more freedom to
decide how to interpret the scores. For example, you can rank scores of title
elements higher than those of paragraphs.

I invite you to have a look at our documentation for more information and
examples [1,2].

Hope this helps,
Christian

[1] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Full-Text
[2] https://docs.basex.org/wiki/Indexes#Full-Text_Index

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 1:23 PM Murray, Gregory