I think I wasn't thinking clearly about the problem.

If I have a link from one page of the Web app to a REST URL, the results
of that URL have to be shown so without using Javascript to submit the URL
there will always be a separate result, which I can direct to a separate
browser window.

So it's not really an issue. And if I wanted things to be a bit more
sophisticated I would use Javascript to submit the REST URL and manage the
response, however long it took to return.

Cheers,

E.
----
Eliot Kimber, Owner