I've written some XSLT to handle some of XSLX in the context of my
Word-to-DITA transformation framework:

https://github.com/dita4publishers/org.dita4publishers.word2dita/tree/devel
op/xsl

The business logic should be relatively easy to recode as Xquery if
appropriate.

In addition, the Apache POI project provides pretty robust Java code
reading and writing Office documents including Excel files. It should be
relatively easy to use it from BaseX as a Java extension.

Cheers,

Eliot
----
Eliot Kimber, Owner