On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 16:52 +0100, Thomas Daly wrote:

> a)      It is not possible to log into a BaseX database running on a
> remote
> server from a GUI running on a different machine?

You can probably also do it the other way round, setting DISPLAY and
running BaseX on the server system with its display pointing to your
system, e.g, using an ssh tunnel so you don't need to expose your
system to the raw Internet. See e.g. https://askubuntu.com/questions/20
3173/run-application-on-local-machine-and-show-gui-on-remote-display
for using ssh -X or -Y to the server. You have to arrange for your X
server to listen for remote connections I think.

> b)      Do I need any particular Linux distribution / GUI version to
> run the BaseX Linux GUI?

No. I use Mageia Linux under Gnome 3, but as Christian said, you just
need Java.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/