On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 15:04 +0200, Andreas Mixich wrote:
> when serializing a string, that contains literal XML with entities,
> how do I pass through those entities unchanged?

One way is to use a character map, as Bridger Dyson-Smith described.

Sometimes another way can be to have a version of the DTD in which the
replacement text of the entity marks the presence of the entity, e.g.
<!ENTITY eacute "&#38;eacute;">
but this will affect full-text searching of course.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Webslave for old illustrations  http://www.fromoldbooks.org/