On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 03:43 -0500, Geoff Alexander wrote:

> We're getting an "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x1a) was found
> in the element content of the document" error

Character 0x1A is indeed not allowed in an XML document.

See e.g. https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charsets

One reason this can happen is if a document is in some character set,
such as a DOS codepage or early Apple charset, that (mis-)uses some of
the control characters, such as this one, to be printable characters.
Anotheris conversion errors, and another is attempts to include binary
data. In other words it's usually a file encoding problem.

If the document doesn't actually contain a byte of that value, though,
it's another problem...

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org