JI> Dear Thomas,
>> A good color palette will put less pressure on the dithering
>> function, so given a good palette you will get a significantly
>> better image given the same dithering function.  The exact
>> difference depends on the image.

JI> Thank you for your kind reply.  In these days, I was thinking:
JI> What is the "Good color palette" ?

JI> I installed GIMP (some image manipulation tool, which is available
JI> at http://www.gimp.org ).  While I'm viewing the indexed image,
JI> GIMP can pop up another window for color palette for it.

JI> As for the indexed PNG generated by: new BufferedImage(w, h,
JI> BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_INDEXED) the same color palette is always
JI> shown.  But, when I convert the RGB-PNG to the indexed one by
JI> GIMP, the different color palette is shown for each image.  For
JI> example, if the image consists of the only 2 colors, the color
JI> palette has the only 2 colors too.  GIMP seems to create "optimal
JI> color palette" for each image while converting RBG to INDEXED.  I
JI> guess GIMP picks up all the available colors from the original
JI> RGB-PNG, and creates the color cube only for them.

JI> I reached the conclusion that I'll need to find the same way as
JI> GIMP.

    Correct GIMP creates palette that adapts to the contents of the
image.  There are many ways of doing this, I don't know what method
GIMP uses but it is probably a pretty good one, the one I referenced
earlier is also pretty good and very standard.

>> I'll also remind you that there are a number of C programs that
>> will palettize images in the manner I describe so if a two step
>> processes is acceptable you could use a package like Image Magik
>> (SP?)  to go from our 24bit PNG to a 4 or 8 bit PNG.

JI> Thank you for your information.  I ran into:
JI> http://www.imagemagick.org There is the Java interface, JMagick,
JI> by which Java program can use this useful library.  Because
JI> ImageMagick is written in C, this Java interface depends on JNI.
JI> I'd like to try it personally.  But, I think that Batik API should
JI> be written only in Java.  What do you think?

    Yes, I think it would be a mistake to include a JNI module just to
do indexed image output.  However for private use it may be extremely
useful.