Michael Weber wrote:

The following code converts a SMIL to JPG and saves it locally – that part of the code works as designed. The problem is that the File delete() and rename() methods in the finally block work only intermittently. When they don’t work, Windows also complains that some process has the file resource. Is it possible the Batik library is not freeing the file handle properly?

I don't really think this is possible. We never see the source file you delete, and you close the FileOutputStream, so even if we kept a reference to it this would kill it. There is something tickling in the back of my head about this (in Java in general) but I can't recall it.