[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> On 11 Feb 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> >> It's not quite clear to me how to recognize those.  But BBDB should
> >> provide support for it.  I think.
> >
> > Well, if there is any need, somebody will write it up and post it.
>
> I doubt that auto-grokking these things is the way to go, since there
> are so many different address formats.  Implement fifteen address
> formats, and somebody is sure to show you the sixteenth one which you
> haven't thought of.

Well, we can make it as robust as necessary -- just because
bbdb-address-is-continental uses the zip code doesn't mean other
identifying functions must use it as well.  If a new proposed format
works only for the PR China, then by all means the identfying function
should check the country name.

But I'm not going to write it, because I know nobody there.  :)

> Here's a different approach: an address is just a sequence of lines.
> But it is possible to mark up part of an address as the street name,
> or the (house) number, or the zip code, or whatever.  Then the address
> will always look right.

Hm, assume there is a line saying "CH-8004 Zuerich" -- what will you
tag it?  Both zip and city, I assume.  How are you going to export it
to another tool that actually has specific fields for zip and city?
If we lived only in Emacs, there would be no need for pseudo
relational attributes...

Therefore: *Fine by me* -- these palm guys ought to be using Emacs,
anyway, hehehe.  :]

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
"Your .emacs is either in C:or in the directory of %HOME% under Win32."