On Friday, January 23, 2004 at 10:24:47, Ted Stern wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2004, Robert Widhopf-Fenk wrote:
> >
> > PS: I have no idea what you mean by a gmane-address and I am
> >     to tired to digging for it by myself ... providing an
> >     example gmane-address/message might help ...
> >

> Look at any of the last 10 or so messages under
> gmane.comp.tex.pdftex.

You would have saved me 15min giving:
    REALNAME <WIREDGMANEADDRESS>
e.g.
    Ted Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And I would have saved another 15min not writing the
following defun and replying ...

The defun is not efficient, but effective in VM.  If it does
not do the job in Gnus, use edebug and post the gnus-enabled
version for other Gmane users ...

(add-hook 'bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook 'rf-handle-gmane-address)

(defun rf-handle-gmane-address (net)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (if (and (string-match "@public.gmane.org" net)
             (re-search-forward (format "[^:,]*<%s>" net) (point-max) t))
        (let ((ad (mail-extract-address-components (match-string 0)))
              realnet)
          (message "Found `%S' in headers! Doing realname search!" ad)
          (and (car ad)
               (setq realnet (bbdb-search-simple (car ad) nil))
               (setq realnet (car (bbdb-record-net realnet)))
               (setq net realnet))))
    net))