Dave Love <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I'd just like to see both code and comment fixed such that I can
>> understand it a few months from now.  Can you suggest a change?
>
> Sorry, you'll have to explain why either needs fixing.  (I can still
> understand them, for what it's worth.)

My problem was that some user asked about BBDB file encodings, and
then I noticed the cookie -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*- in my .bbdb
file and the variable bbdb-file-coding-system's value, 'utf-8-emacs.
I then looked at the bbdb-file-coding-system doc string, and found no
explanation, and later I saw the comment in the source, which also
didn't explain to me why I was getting utf-8-emacs instead of
iso-2022-7bit.  The comment in the source also claims that
utf-8-emacs is somehow superior to iso-2022-7bit in the Unicode
branch, which is something I also don't understand.

My gut feeling was therefore that we should use the following:

> (defconst bbdb-file-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit
>   "Coding system used for reading and writing `bbdb-file'.
> This should not be changed by users.")

It would work always, and no fancy coding systems only the Unicode
branch will be able to use.  And when you're using the Unicode branch,
the variable seems to have no effect...  At least I'm seeing a "J" in
my modeline when I open the .bbdb file.

Does that explain why I think the current code and comment need some
change?  Either the simplification I am suggesting, or some
explanation for the utf-8-emacs preference and a short note on file
cookies (or a ref to the docs, which would be fine by me).

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O  Schroeder's fourth law: