   >> Does anybody know about such a mailrc like feature.

    > Below is some code that I have been using for this for a long,
    > long time.  IIRC, I wrote it, but it could also be that I wrote
    > something like it and then threw mine away when someone else did
    > it better.  Sorry for the foggy memories, and sorry if someone
    > reading this wrote this code that I swiped without attribution.

    > This works for me in my hacked up BBDB 2.34 (does anybody using
    > BBDB not have a "hacked up" version? :-) I think the comments in
    > the code explain it pretty well.

Thanks for that code. I am not sure that I have a hacked up version of
bbdb, but if then not the same as you have, for your code did not
work.
First when I byte compile I obtain
  ** the function define-mail-abbrev is not known to be defined.
Looking at the code it seems that the
                (if (fboundp 'define-mail-abbrev)
does not harm (I am on XEmacs 21.4.19 no mule).
However when I try to use your code by executing
bbdb-define-all-mail-aliases, then I 2 type of errors depending whether
I have defined the mail-hierarchy' field or not. I will send you these
backtrace in a private mail.

Thanks and regards

Uwe