Some time ago, I reported two problems with bbdb
(http://www.mail-archive.com/bbdb-info@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04877.html).
Now I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid and from emacs 22 to emacs 23.  At
first, gnus worked fine in emacs 22 and lucid.  Then I switched to emacs
23, and it seemed to work as usual, too (i.e., the first run gave me
that "Args out of range: 0, 31" when reading a message, presumably from
bbdb).

As I quit gnus, it asked me to save .bbdb, told me (as usual) the normal
encoding wouldn't work, and this time gave me a way to find the
characters it couldn't map.  I went through each and deleted or replaced
them, saved and quit, and then started it up.

Now both emacs 22 and 23 (with their respective gnus) give me "Args out
of range: 0, 65" when trying to read a message.  A backtrace shows

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed")
|   signal(error ("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed"))
|   error("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed")
|   bbdb-records()
|   bbdb-message-cache-lookup("<87zkygbwmo....@jidanni.org>")
|   bbdb/gnus-update-records(nil)
|   bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer()
|   run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   apply(run-hooks gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   gnus-run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   gnus-article-prepare-display()
|   gnus-article-prepare(105 nil)
|   gnus-summary-display-article(105 nil)
|   gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
|   gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
|   call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up nil nil)
|   recursive-edit()
|   byte-code("Æ       @Ç=ƒ!ÈÉÊ\"ˆËÉ!‰A@)¢Ì=ƒ!ÈÍÊ\"ˆÎ!ˆÏ ˆÐ
!ˆ\fƒdÑed\"
VƒWebˆÒ
¥yˆ`dbˆÒ
¥
Zyˆ`|ˆ)ÓcˆebˆÔÕÖ \"ˆ×Æ!ˆÔØ!ˆÙÊÔØ!ˆŠÚ ˆ+ه" [unread-command-char
debugger-args x debugger-buffer noninteractive debugger-batch-max-lines -1
debug backtrace-debug 4 t backtrace-frame lambda 5 pop-to-buffer debugger-mode
debugger-setup-buffer count-lines 2 "...\n" message "%s" buffer-string
kill-emacs "" nil recursive-edit middlestart buffer-read-only standard-output]
4)

bbdb-message-cache-lookup("<ce53b35e-7872-48c2-bcbf-1cd6b94d2...@gmail.com>")
|   bbdb/gnus-update-records(nil)
|   bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer()
|   run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   apply(run-hooks gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   gnus-run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
|   gnus-article-prepare-display()
|   gnus-article-prepare(87893 nil)
|   gnus-summary-display-article(87893 nil)
|   gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
|   gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
|   call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up nil nil)
`----

Is there a good next step?   Or is the best thing to go grab my backup
of .bbdb from yesterday and stick with the encoding problem?

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA