On Sat Oct 30 2010 Uwe Brauer wrote:
>    > and use more meaningful names.
>
> This, in my opinion, is a very bad idea.
> Taste is subjective and once names are chosen they become  a
> convention. To break backward compatibility deliberately has
> no benefit I can think off.

I was just looking at these things once more, and I think that
Johnny's original request provides a good example for why I did
these changes. Johnny asked about the variable bbdb-add-mails in
BBDB 3.XX. In BBDB 2.XX this was called bbdb-always-add-addresses.
Why was the old name very confusing? Because the core functions of
BBDB called email addresses "net", while "address" was used for
snail mail addresses. Yet (later?) add-ons to BBDB 2.XX also used
"mail", "email" and "address" for this purpose.

In BBDB 3.XX I tried to use consistently "address" for snail mail
addresses and "mail" for email addresses.

Cheers,