Ok, so I have reverted to bbdb 2.35 to test the ';'
(bbdb/gnus-edit-notes) functionality, and using this function adds the
sender to the database if not already present, as explained in the info files.

This function is broken in bbdb 3.02 as the ';' does not add the sender
to the database.

Cross-posting (let me know if this is wrong) to the gnus mailing list,
if some experience Gus user has resolved this.

Previous said on this topic as below...

--
Johnny