On Tue May 10 2011 Leo wrote:
> On 2011-05-09 02:59 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> > In principle there is no ambiguityconcerning lists and strings. All
> > bbdb fields except for names and individual note fields are lists
> > (and different notes are again forming a list).
> >
> > For your issue, a cleaner solution might be an optional argument
> > merge for bbdb-record-set-field. That could make bbdb-annotate-notes
> > completely obsolete. Do you want to look into this?
>
> OK, I'll look into this.
>
> Is the intention to extend BBDB-record-set-field to support setting
> sub-fields of notes too?

...I just noticed a problem I had not realized before:

Currently bbdb-record-set-field assumes that its arg VALUE takes
values that are by themselves valid for the respective field of a
record. For a merge that would probably not make sense as I assume
that VALUE for a merge should be a string.

So maybe it is better to put the extension we are thinking about
into bbdb-merge-note:

- If its arg LABEL is either affix, aka, organization, or mail, this
  function could add a new element to the list of values of the
  respective field.

- IF LABEL is name (or firstname, lastname), phone or address, it
  throws an error. (Unless someone has a great idea how to handle
  these cases in a better way. Such things can always be extended
  later. -- BBDB would get very confused if there were also note
  subfields with such labels.)

- Any other value of LABEL should correspond to a proper note, so
  that this function should keep doing what it is doing now.

Does this make sense? Possibly, this extended function should then
be called bbdb-merge-field.