Hello Roland,

"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:
> On Tue Nov 26 2013 Joseph Mingrone wrote:
>> It's useful being able to have BBDB anniversaries show up in the Org
>> agenda following section 10.3.1 of the Org manual.  The only problem
>> with putting the anniversaries in BBDB instead of the diary is that the
>> dates aren't marked in the calendar and don't show up the diary.  Is
>> there away to make the calendar/diary aware of anniversaries in BBDB?
>
> Have you looked at bbdb-anniv.el of BBDB 3?  Its only goal is to
> make calendar/diary aware of anniversaries / birthdays etc. stored
> in BBDB. (I do not know how to further propagate these dates to org
> mode; but once these things are known to calendar/diary/ this should
> be no problem anymore.)
>
> Does this answer your question?

This looks promising.  I uninstalled BBDB 2.35 and installed the package
20131116.1130 (with list-packages).  From reading the comments in
bbdb-anniv.el I put

(add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)

in init.el.

I added a birthday to a contact with:

- M-x bbdb (found a record)
- i birthday 29-11-1955 (tried a few other formats as well)
- save the record.

When I open the calendar, I don't see anything on the 29th.

A few related questions:

Is there anything I need to do to update my database to the new BBDB
version?

Can arbitrary anniversaries be added, e.g. death?

When I open a message in Gnus I see: run-hooks: Symbol's function
definition is void: bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer.  Any hints to fix
this?  I tried setting bbdb-use-pop-up to nil without success.

Please excuse me if there is any documentation I'm missing that
describes these issues.

Thanks,

Joseph